Sunday 11 March 2012

Post 8: Globalista




Assignment: Regardless of whether you support the terminology, do you identify with the kind of globalista Dacks describes in this article?

            


Dacks defines a globalista as a citizen of the world, someone who embraces the world and everything it has to offer. 
Relating myself to a globalista, I wouldn't say that I go around, embracing the world and everything it has to offer. In terms of music, I celebrate the bands that I like and tell my friends about them, but most of them are from North America and the UK, and are already well known. 
Music is becoming more hybridized, and more global because of global culture. 


Most of the music I like is from North American and Europe, mainly from the United Kingdom. My favourite bands are from:  
      -  Canada, (Arcade Fire, Hey Rosetta!)
      -  The United States (The Black Keys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Bon Iver)
      -  The United Kingdom (Mumford and Sons, Radiohead, Foals) 
      
I do agree that because of these globalisats, "world music" is more prominent in North America. With YouTube, it is easier to access it and with the rise of popular culture, and websites such as Pitchfork, music from around the world is more well known. Dacks describes world music as a hybrid combining different genres to create one sound. While I do like the typical "western" music, I also do enjoy Dacks' version of world music. Two bands that I also enjoy listening to are Lykke Li, a Swedish singer and songwriter, and Beirut, which although they are an American band, there use elements of Balkan sounds. In that sense I would be considered a globalista, but I tend to stick to the music I enjoy listening to, which is primarily Western music. 


No comments:

Post a Comment