Wednesday 14 March 2012

Final Post: Sweatshops


Assignment:  How much responsibility for the well being of these sweat shop workers should lie on the producers, and how much on the workers? How do you think this can be fixed? Do you make an effort to know the production history of the cultural products that you use (movies, music, clothes, food, etc.)

I believe that the responsibilities of the workers should be primarily on the producers, as they are the ones that are ultimately controlling the way things work. I also believe that some responsibility should be on the managers and supervisors who are working in the factories. The sad reality is that the workers often don’t have any other choice or option than to work in these factories. What I feel the factory workers need is better treatment and better pay. The sweatshops are extremely crowded, work long days, with poor ventilation and are often exposed to toxic chemicals. And most are paid extremely minimal amounts, as compared to their living expenses. These people are being paid low wages in terms of the price that consumers actually pay for the product. The big companies should be paying these workers more and taking less money for themselves, which they can easily afford. I also think that they should improve the working conditions in the sweatshops. In reality, I do not believe this will ever change, but I truly hope that it will.

            I try to make a conscious effort to know the production history of the cultural products I use. Although, I often try not to think about where it comes from, as I know. Being a future teacher, it makes me disgusted to think that innocent children are being forced to work in sweatshops under terrible conditions, and that this is their future. I find it difficult to find clothing that has not been made from a sweatshop. I believe most of the clothing that is not made in sweatshops and that are being paid for fairly are expensive and I cannot afford them.

Within the past few years, this issue has had more light shed on it, through numerous documentaries and articles. With people becoming more aware with where their products are ultimately coming from, people can try and change this and make the big companies aware that this is wrong.  Wal-Mart may be rolling back prices for us, but they are rolling back standards and the conditions that the sweatshop workers have to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment